Description: Birds use their beaks often to climb around or just to test new objects. Due to this, they can easily be exposed to poisonous substances if the proper measures are not taken to ensure that harmful objects or materials are not accessible to your pet bird. A poison is any substance which in small quantities can cause illness or death.
Certain houseplants (see list under Plants article), lead, zinc, some medications, many aerosols, some fumes and many household items are toxic to birds and this may be dosage-related. Some spoiled foods can even be poisonous to your parrot.
Almost any clinical signs may be associated with poisoning, depending on the route, amount, substance and bird’s weight, metabolic rate and size.
Immediate Care: If you notice any symptoms hinting that your bird ingested a poison or if you see your pet bird exposed to a poison, immediately see an avian vet. If possible, bring the toxic substance or packaging to the vet also. Do not induce regurgitation or vomiting unless directed to do so by your avian veterinarian.
Long Term Care: You avian vet will recommend the best treatment protocol. Your vet may seek the assistance of a human poison control center or a national animal poison control center.
Know what plants are harmful to your pet birds and be careful when selecting products that will come in contact with your bird so that nothing contains a harmful substance, such as zinc or lead.
Click on the body part or body system where your pet bird is having problems. For example, if your pet bird is experiencing diarrhea, click on Digestion.
If you don't know what is wrong with your pet bird, search by Sign. If your pet bird has already been diagnosed, search by Ailment.
Disclaimer: BirdChannel.com’s Diagnose Your Bird tool is intended for educational purposes only. It is not meant to replace the expertise and experience of a professional veterinarian. Do not use the information presented here to make decisions about your bird’s ailment. If you notice changes in your bird’s health or behavior, please take your pet to the nearest veterinarian or an emergency pet clinic as soon as possible.