As a bird breeder, you’ll need to time – and lots of it. You need time to feed all of your birds, to clean their dishes and living quarters, time to inspect nest boxes, time to develop a business plan and your website, and time to care for chicks. Do you have a plan of what to do if your parent birds are no longer able or no longer want to feed their chicks? Would you have the time to feed the chicks or could you hire someone to do it? Ask yourself these six questions before deciding whether you really have what it takes to raise happy, healthy baby birds.
- Are you available around the clock?
- Are you free of household distractions
- Are you willing to learn proper techniques?
- Is a qualified person willing to teach you
- Does your attention to cleanliness border on obsessive?
- Do you have an avian veterinarian, experienced in pediatrics, close by?
If you answer yes to all of these, you may be a successful hand-feeding candidate.