Get your camera loaded, and keep your eye on the birdie. It’s time to send us your latest photographic creations. The 2007 BIRDS USA photo contest has two new categories:
Birds Gone Wild! — Capture your bird having fun and letting loose. Whether it’s a crazy dance to waving to mom for the camera.
Sittin’ Pretty — Birds love to look their best. Catch your bird admiring himself in the mirror to flaunting it up for you.
For each category, we will award first, second and third prizes. The first-prize winner will receive $150, second will receive $100 and third will win $75. The judges may also choose to honor various entries with “Honorable Mention” status (no prizes awarded). Winning photos will be published in the 2008 edition of BIRDS USA.
Technicality is important, even though a submitted photo may be beautiful. Clear, in-focus photos are the best. Well-groomed, healthy birds make the best subjects, and make sure your bird is the main subject of the photo. Props can add to the appeal of your photo, but too much background clutter will compete with the bird.
- Send color prints or slides of pet/exotic birds (no photos on disc and no digital photos). Prints are to be unmounted and unframed. Each entry must have the bird’s name and species, the photographer’s name, address and phone number, and the category printed on or taped to the back of the photo. If you print directly on the back of the picture, place a sheet of paper behind it so the ink does not smear or imprint on another photo. Printed copies of digital photos may appear pixilated, which makes them unprintable.
- Pick a category to submit your photo to: “Birds Gone Wild!” or “Sittin’ Pretty.” Make a note on your entry form. Judges reserve the right to recategorize entries.
- Send only previously unpublished photos. Only one prize per person per category will be awarded. Multiple entries may be submitted in one envelope. Photos with birds and non-avian animals together, birds eating junk food, birds in unsafe situations, or birds wearing costumes or hats will be disqualified.
- Any amateur photographer may enter, except employees of BowTie, Inc. and their families.
- All entries and photographs become the property of BowTie, Inc. and will not be returned unless an SASE is enclosed. Entrants must own the animals photographed or have the owner’s permission to enter the photograph.
- Prizes will be awarded to the photographer if different from the submitter of the photo.
- Winners will be chosen by judges selected by BIRDS USA. All decisions are final.
All entries must be postmarked no later than September 1, 2007.
How to Enter
By mail: Print this page and fill out the form below. Send to: BIRDS USA Photo Contest, P.O. Box 6050, Mission Viejo, CA 92690
Category: ____ Birds Gone Wild! ____ Sittin’ Pretty
Name(s) of Birds:_______________________________________________
Owners and Photographer:________________________________________