Margaret A. Wissman, DVM
Posted: July 26, 2013, 3:15 p.m. PDT
Birds use their beaks often to climb around or just to test new objects. Due to this, they can easily be exposed to poisonous substances if the proper measures are not taken to ensure that harmful objects or materials are not accessible to your pet bird.
Certain houseplants, lead, zinc and some medications used for humans and other pets. Some spoiled foods can even be poisonous for your parrot.
Convulsions, paralysis, blood in droppings, vomiting, irritation of the skin or around the bird’s mouth are all symptoms that could mean your pet bird has been exposed to a poisonous substance.
If you notice any symptoms hinting that your bird ingested a poison or if you see your pet bird exposed to a poison, immediately see an avian veterinarian. If possible, bring the toxic object to the vet also.
You avian veterinarian will recommend the best treatment process.
Prevention key so that and emergency vet visit because of poisons can be avoided all together. Know what plants are harmful to your pet birds and be careful when selecting products that will surround your bird so that nothing is coated with a harmful substance, such as zinc or lead.
Disclaimer: BirdChannel.com’s Bird Health section is intended for educational purposes only. It is not meant to replace the expertise and experience of a professional veterinarian. Do not use the information presented here to make decisions about your bird’s health if you suspect your pet is sick. If your pet is showing signs of illness or you notice changes in your bird’s behavior, take your pet to the nearest veterinarian or an emergency pet clinic as soon as possible.