Jennifer Asencio, owner of Antique Beak — an online store specializing in vintage, rare and unique bird antiques — offers these tips for searching for that rare find:
• Let you fingers be your guide (not just your eyes). Thoroughly check glassware and porcelain birds for chips, cracks or repairs, especially on wing tips and beaks. Damages, even minor ones, lower the value of the piece.
• When shopping for metalware, heavier is usually better. Most reproductions are much lighter in weight than the originals. Older pieces will have more detail as well.
• Look closely at vintage bird prints. Older ones will have solid coloring or random dots, while newer ones have a regular pattern of dots or fine lines.
• Always buy the best example of an item you can find. Those in good condition will always have a better resale value.
• Buy what you like and appreciate most. That way you will always be happy with it, no matter the current market value.